We are committed to providing a quality service in a manner that ensures a safe and healthy workplace and community for our employees, volunteers and residents, minimising our potential impact on the environment. We will operate in compliance to all relevant environmental legislation and we will strive to use pollution prevention and environmental best practice in all we do.
1) Integrate the consideration of environmental concerns and impacts into all of our decision making and activities;
2) Promote environmental awareness among our employees, Community Councillors and volunteers to encourage them to work in an environmentally responsible manner;
3) Train, educate and inform our employees, Community Councillors and volunteers about environmental issues that may affect their work;
4) Reduce waste through re-use and recycling and by purchasing recycled, recyclable or refurbished products and materials where these alternatives are available, economical and suitable;
5) Promote efficient use of materials and resources throughout the Council`s operations including water, electricity, gas, raw materials and other resources, particularly those that are non-renewable;
6) Avoid unnecessary use of hazardous materials and products, seek substitutions when feasible, and take all reasonable steps to protect human health and the environment when such materials must be used, stored and disposed of;
7) Purchase and use environmentally responsible products accordingly;
8) Where required by legislation or where significant health, safety or environmental hazards exist, develop and maintain appropriate emergency and spill response programmes;
9) Communicate our environmental commitment to partners and the public and encourage them to support it;
10) Strive to continually improve our environmental performance and minimise the social impact and damage of activities by periodically reviewing our environmental policy in light of our current and planned future activities.
THIS POLICY WAS ADOPTED ON 13th September 2018.