Draft Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting held on
Thursday 20th October 2022, held at the Welfare Hall, Heol Y Felin, Cwmgwrach commencing at 6.30 pm
Present: Cllr Carolyn Edwards, Cllr Alan Edwards, Cllr Rhian Williams, Cllr Rhian A Williams, Cllr Menna Mortimore, Cllr Peter Rudd and Cllr Jennifer Bulman.
Council Employees Present:– Linda Evans – Clerk to The Council; Clive Baker – Responsible Financial Officer of the Council
Members of the Public Present: None
45/22 Apologies: Cllr David Jones, Cllr Amanda Doherty and Cllr Andrew Hippsley
had sent their apologies.
46/22 Declarations of Interest.
There were no declarations of interest made at this meeting;
47/22 County Councillor`s Report:
County Councillor Hayley Davies reported the following:
- There will be a Traffic Survey in High Street, Cwmgwrach to ascertain the number & type of vehicles using the road. The radar cameras will be mounted on the lighting columns. No specific date has been set for this survey.
20.10.22 – no further up date.
- The Aberpergwm Colliery Site Liaison Committee – A meeting of this committee was held last week but the delegated representative from the Blaengwrach Committee Council was unable to attend. Councillor Davies reported a review of the make-up of the Committee took place and it was decided that this committee will now require two representatives from the Blaengwrach Committee Council.
20.10.22 – Proposed agenda item 44/22
48/22 Public Observations on Matters Arising and Agenda Items Being Discussed at this Meeting –
20.10.22 – None
49/22 Confirmation of the Minutes of the Last Meeting as a True Record.
20.10.22 The minutes of the Monthly Meeting held on 22nd September 2022 were accepted as a true records of that meeting, with the following amendment – Minute 39/22(l) To include the pianist Mrs. E Brown and Minister Mr. T Peck. And Council will provide tea’s and coffee’s after the service.
50/22 Matters Arising & Agenda Items:
- Remote/Hybrid Meetings in the Welfare Hall –
20.10.22 – completed and item closed.
- b) Flat Roof & Kitchen Ceiling of the Welfare Hall
20.10.22 – Repair of kitchen ceiling and male toilets needed. To contact AW to arrange quote.
- Christmas 2022 Celebrations – The Lighting Contractor met with the NPTCBC, Streetlighting Engineers & the Council Chair on Friday, 30th September 2022 to try to “move the required posts for the cross street banner forward and the Contractor confirmed that the work will be completed before 25th November 2022 and that the “banner” will be in place for this year. It was also decided that the lamppost mounted Christmas Lights will be supplied by the contractor and will not be the Council`s lights which were purchased in September 2021. Negotiated by Chair and one other Councillor.
20.10.2022 – All arrangements confirmed. Christmas Party will not go ahead due to the continuing Covid presence and the general increase in case numbers. Selection Boxes will be sourced for local school.
- The Governance & Financial Management Toolkit for Community & Town Councils in Wales – The “time table” for completion of the statutory training plan for BOTH Councillors & Council Staff that MUST be published on the Council website by 5th November 2022 is still under discussion. The Chair urged all Councillors to look at the OVW Training Courses that are sent to them monthly and to complete at least one course by the end of April 2023. Councillors should let the Clerk know what course(s) they intend to undertake before the 31st October 2022, IF POSSIBLE, so that the above mentioned Council Training Plan can be compiled by the 5th November 2022;
20.10.2022 – All Councillors to look at completing Code of Conduct. Training plan and budget in development.
- Renewal of Leases for Council Owned Land –The remaining Lessee has contacted one of the Councillors to say that they have never had a lease in the past and don`t know why the need one now. The Council has asked the Clerk to try to locate any past leases and give copies to Councillor David Jones who will liaise with the Lessee. 10.22 – carry over to next meeting
- Update on “Winter Programme of Works” – The 2022 ROSPA report was received on 21st August 2022.
20.10.22 – Item closed
- June 2022 and a copy was given to the grounds-man & the observations from the report have been included in the 2022 “Programme”. The grounds-man will start the tasks in the Winter Programme in the week commencing 3rd October 2022.
20.10.22 – Noted and Closed
- The Repairing of the Wall between The Dunraven Arms and the Welfare Park – The gentleman who put the gate into the wall contacted the Clerk on 30th September 2022 to say that he will not be able repair the wall for the Council. Further contractors/quotes are being sought;
20.10.22 – Quote approved – Action – LE to contact Luke Davies to commence work.
- The Coalfield Regeneration Trust Energy Efficiency Community Buildings Support Programme – The registration form for the NPT Community Group Energy Efficiency Programme was sent back to The Coalfield Regeneration Group at NPTCVS on 27th September 2022;
20.10.22 – Energy efficiency inspection arranged for 8th Nov 2 pm
- Unruly Children in the Area
20.10.2022 – Cllr’s discussed the impact of unruly behavior on the local community. Concerns to be raised with C Cllr Hayley Davies. Possible action – contact PCSO for further information, to discuss further.
- The Use of the Welfare Hall to Support the Local Community in the Present Energy Crisis – Warm Hub –
20.10.22 Meeting arranged for Monday 24th – Empower Health and Wellbeing. Cllr’s discussed funding, with possibility of local shops donating refreshments. Source other avenues for funding. The idea of opening the Welfare Hall 2 mornings a week with the help of volunteers.
- The 2022 Remembrance Service – The 100 Orders of Service were received on and the pianist and minister were invited on 27th October 2022. Note: The date of this year`s Remembrance Sunday is 13th November 2022;
- – Poppies for lampposts collected and arrangements made to put up. Payment for poppies and donation to RBL agreed. CB to arrange Order of service have arrived. Action – Clerk to contact Mrs Enfys Brown (Pianist) and Mr Tony Peck (officiating) with date and time.
- Trem-Y-Glyn, Glynneath – The Action Group have responded to the initial contact and will liaise with either the Clerk or the Chair to arrange to attend a Council meeting in the near future;
20.10.22 – Update – Trem y Glyn will remain open until 2024. Action Group continue to campaign.
- Agenda Item 7a – Examination & Explanation of/on the Quarterly Budget (1st July 2022 to 30th September 2022) –
20.10.22 – CB RFO shared quarterly budget details – budget on track, item closed.
- Agenda Item 7b – Discussion on Proposed Council Projects/Non-Budget Items for the Financial Year 2023-2024 –
20.10.22 – It was felt that a specific Budget Meeting is needed, date to be confirmed.
- Agenda Item 7c – The Appointment of a Second Delegate to the Aberpergwm Colliery Site Committee
20.10.22 – Cllr Menna Mortimore was the agreed candidate to join Cllr Amanda Doherty on the Aberpergwm Colliery Site Committee. Action – Clerk to inform the Site Manager in writing. Item closed.
28/09/2022 Ref: P2022/0799, Applicant: Mr. Gareth Davies, Unit 3, 270 Cockett Road, Swansea SA2 0FN – Discharge of Condition 24 (Relating to the requirement of a restoration plan) attached to Planning Permission P96/1186/03 @ the Pentreclwydau Mine Complex, Cwmgwrach, Neath SA11 5PT;
29/09/2022 Ref: P2022/0635, Applicant: C K Hutchinson Networks (UK) Ltd, Great Brighams Mead, Vastern Road, Reading, Berkshire RG1 8DJ – Proposed telecommunications installation: Proposed 16 metre high Phase 8 Monopole C/W wraparound cabinet at base and associated ancillary works at B4242, Blaengwrach, Neath SA11 5NZ;
07/10/2022 – Ref: P2022/0230 Mr and Mrs Griffiths,35 Parish Road, Blaengwrach, Neath. SA11 5SW. Proposed construction of two domestic dwellings and the demolition of an existing bungalow (amendment to both car parking areas received 22/09/2022.
52/22 Crime and Disorder.
The reported crime figures for the Blaengwrach/Cwmgwrach & Glynneath West area for July 2022 were 13. These were broken down as follows:
Burglary – 1; Public Disorder – 3 & Violent & Sexual Offences – 9; (From the “Crime Map” the reported crime figures show that with the Blaengwrach/Cwmgwrach area for July 2022 there were 4 reported crimes. They were Burglary – 1; Public Disorder – 1 & Violent & Sexual Offences – 2.
The reported crime figures for the Blaengwrach/Cwmgwrach & Glynneath West area for August 2022 were 15. These were broken down as follows:
Anti-Social Behaviour 1; Public Disorder – 3 & Violent & Sexual Offences – 10; – Vehicle Crime – 1
(From the “Crime Map” the reported crime figures show that with the Blaengwrach/Cwmgwrach area for August 2022 there were 4 reported crimes. They were Public Disorder – 2, Violent & Sexual Offences – 1, Anti-Social Behaviour – 1
Note: Future Pact Meetings, hosted by The South Wales Police may well be on-line via Zoom and the South Wales Police will post all required details of the meetings on their web page. NOTE: The public can attend any local PACT meeting to ask questions & give their views re: local crime & policing.
For period 23/9/2022 to 20/10/2022:
Payments made: Staff Pension Scheme (4 weeks) – £53.32;
Welsh Water – Water Rates (Hall) – £136.00; Welsh Water – Water Rates (Cemetery) – £10.50; HMRC – Staff Tax & NI (6.9.22 to 5.10.22) – £122.92;
Utility Warehouse – Electricity @ Hall (September 2022) – £124.55;
British Gas – Gas @ Hall (17.9.2022 to 16.10.22) – £394.23;
NPTCBC – General Rates for Welfare Hall – £428.00;
NPTCBC – General Rates for Cemetery – £46.00;
EE Limited – Wi-Fi signal to the Welfare Hall – £44.40;
Zoom UK – Monthly Fee for Zoom Business – £14.39;
Small Plant & Machinery – Annual PAT Testing & Machinery Repairs – £224.00;
The Post Office – Postage fee for send Condolences Book for H. M. Queen Elizabeth the Second to Buckingham Palace – £3.30;
Eurogarages Ltd – Petrol for Park/Cemetery Machines – £17.00;
Viking Direct – Printer and cartridges, office use – £358.08;
NPTCBC – Trade Waste Collection Fee for 1/10/22 to 31/3/2023 – £476.39;
Serol Print – 100 Order of Service for Remembrance Sunday – £165.00;
Royal British Legion – Donation in Trading Ltd., – 10 Poppies for Fitting to Lamp Posts.
Royal British Legion – Donation in Lieu of 2022 Wreathe – for Remembrance Service – £50.00
Income Received: Hall Hire/Rental Fees, etc. – £130.00
Monthly Interest on Reserve Account – £8.13
- Survey for town and community councils and key partners – 10/10/22
- Well-being of Future Generations Stakeholder Forum – report sent – 10/10/22
- Mayors Armed Forces invite – 10/10/2022
- Report on Community Assets – Welsh Government – 17/10/2022
- Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales Draft 2023 – 17/10/202
Section 137 Requests: None.
55/22 Set Date, Time & Proposed Agenda Items for the next meeting;
The next meeting is scheduled will be held on Thursday, 17th November 2022 at 6.30pm.The venue of the meeting will be the Welfare Hall, and available remotely on Zoom. The proposed agenda items are, at this time – none
Notices for the meetings will be posted at least three working days before they are due to take place.
Meeting closed at 8 p.m.
Accepted as a true record
Councillor – Carolyn Edwards (Chairperson)
The Council resolved to enter Closed Session under Section 100 of the Local Government Act 1972 & the Council Standing Order 1c to Discuss Personnel Issues.
NOTE: ANY DISCUSSIONS/ETC WHICH TAKE PLACE IN “CLOSED SESSION” MUST REMAIN IN “CLOSED SESSION” AND NOT BE BROUGHT INTO THE PUBLIC DOMAIN (MINUTES) UNLESS AGREED BY THE FULL COUNCIL AT A FUTURE MEETING.
Any Closed Session Item (Review of Staff Practices etc) will be held in Closed Session. All HR meetings must be “Closed Meetings” without the public being in attendance.