Draft Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting held on Thursday 20th July 2023, at the Welfare Hall, Heol Y Felin, Cwmgwrach and via Zoom, commencing at 6.30 pm
Present: Cllr. Carolyn Edwards (Chair), Cllr. Menna Mortimore, Cllr. Peter Rudd, Cllr Alan Edwards, Cllr. Jennifer Bulman, Cllr. Rhian A Williams and Cllr. Amanda Doherty, Cllr. Andrew Hippsley. Cllr. David Jones.
Council Employees Present: RFO Clive Baker, Clerk Linda Evans
Members of the Public Present: Cllr. Hayley Davies.
46/23 Apologies: Cllr. Rhian Williams sent their apologies.
Cllr. Carolyn Edwards – Chair started the meeting. The meeting is held as a multi-hybrid meeting in accordance with The Local Government and Elections (Wales) Act 2021
47/23 Declarations of Interest: There were no declarations of interest made at this meeting.
48/23 County Councillor`s Report:
- Cllr HD confirmed that Clerk LE had passed on their email address to the Cwmgwrach RFC regarding the retaining wall. Cllr HD has so far not had a response back from the RFC.
- Cllr HD has reported the broken railings running alongside the brook opposite the school, it has been promised that they will be repaired as soon as possible.
- Cllr CE reported that there is a pot hole on the main road into Cwmgwrach. RAW will pass on photographs to Cllr HD so she can report back to the Highways Officer.
- Cllr PR reported back to Cllr HD that the sofa has been removed, and passed on a thank you for their help. There are still issues around the building plot in Heol y Graig with Cllr PR asking for a return visit from the Gas Board. Cllr HD will chase up the issues with the relevant council department and report back.
- Cllr MM discussed the recent dog attack and the concerns raised by residents. Cllr HD will request information from the local PCSO’s and report back any information received.
49/23 Public Observations on Matters Arising and Agenda Items Being Discussed at this Meeting: There were no public observations on matters arising or agenda items.
50/23 Confirmation of the Minutes of the Meeting held on Thursday 15th June – The minutes were confirmed and moved as a true record of the meeting and seconded.
51/23 Matters Arising from the meeting held on 15th June 2023-
a) Flat Roof and Kitchen Ceiling of the Welfare Hall – Clerk has contacted AW but has had no response back.
b)Leases of Council Owned Land – to discuss in closed session
c) Coal Field regeneration Trust Energy Efficiency Community Building Support Program – Chair and Clerk to arrange a time to study the report.
d) Payments by RFO (from personal bank account) – Debit Card received, Clerk reported that first card and PIN did not arrive but has been stopped by the bank. All payments from RFO’s personal account can now be transferred.
e) Cinema Equipment – Marketing leaflet was approved along with the cost by all Cllrs. To be distributed to local catchment area.
f) Paul Hinder – Community Council Presentation for Concrete” Street Course” Skate Park at the Vale of Neath Leisure Centre Site – Clerk has added a post to the website as requested. The naming of the park will be the decision of Neath Town Council and to contact the Clerk for further information.
g) Christmas Celebrations – Cllr. RAW discussed the booking of the Christmas Panto, dates, and costs. All Cllrs approved the cost and Cllr RAW signed the contract for the Clerk to return. Action: Clerk to contact Aberpergwm regarding a donation towards the cost. Final numbers needed for each show, and the idea of distributing tickets to attendees. The proposal that accompanying adults should pay £3.00 was passed.
h) Cllr HD left the meeting.
i) Acknowledgement of the Annual Return 2021/22 – this item is now closed
j) Examination/Agreement of the Annual Return 2022/23 – this item is now closed
k) Sub-Committee Terms of Reference – Audit and Finance Committee – this item is now closed
l) Examination of New Model Standing Orders – this item is now closed
m) Council Representative – Cllr Carolyn Edwards was appointed Council Representative for Cwmgwrach School. Action: Clerk to email confirmation – this item is now closed.
52/23 Agenda Items
a) Social Media Policy – Action: Clerk to combine the 2 relevant social media policies so it includes guidance for both Councillors and Council Employees in the one policy. Once approved the policy will be distributed to all councilors and employees for signature. Clerk will share the SLCC link on guidance while using social media to all Councillors.
b) H&S Training – Training has been provided to LE Clerk and LC Grounds person by John Richards Training Services. H&S on the use of grass cutting equipment. Several recommendations have been made that the Clerk and RFO have looked at and made costings for. All Councillors have looked at the costings and all agree with the items that need to be purchased. Clerk to seek further advice from the Fire Brigade on evacuation plans, emergency lighting, fire escapes and outside lock up vents/lighting.
P2023/0371 Aberpergwm Colliery – extension to stores buildings – we are on the notification list for any developments in the Colliery
P2023/0542 Sam Fender, 23 Heol Wenallt, Cwmgwrach. – Calfaria Baptist Chapel, High Street, Cwmgwrach – alterations to building. Side elevation windows, bi fold doors to the rear new ramp to front elevation partial removal of the front boundary wall and roof lights
54/23 Crime and Disorder.
8 Crimes were reported in the Blaengwrach/Cwmgwrach area in May 2023 – 5 violence and sexual offences, 1 shoplifting, 1 other theft and 1 public order.
Note: Future Pact Meetings, hosted by The South Wales Police may well be on-line via Zoom and the South Wales Police will post all required details of the meetings on their web page. NOTE: The public can attend any local PACT meeting to ask questions & give their views re: local crime & policing.
55/23Finance and report from the Finance and Audit Committee
- Cllr PR Chair of the Finance and Audit Committee discussed the meeting of the committee held on 20th July 2023 (6.00PM) to the full council, and recommended the figures for the Quarterly Budget be approved, all Cllr agreed.
- CB RFO explained and took questions of the Income and Expenditure report for dates 16/06/23 to 20/07/23.
|Payments Made||£ Amounts|
|HMRC||Tax & NI (6.6.23-5.7.23)||327.80|
|Utility Warehouse Ltd||Electricity Welfare Hall – June||243.80|
|Welsh Water||Welfare Hall||125.00|
|Zoom Business||Monthly fee x2||31.18|
|EE Ltd||Monthly fee Wi-Fi x2||101.56|
|British Gas – Hall||17.4.23 – 16.5.23||60.01|
|NPTCBC||Monthly rates – Hall||375.00|
|NPTCBC||Monthly rates – Cemetery||19.00|
|Wales Audit Office||Fees 2017 to 2020||699.00|
|Cllr R A Williams||Cllr Allowance 23/24||124.80|
|Cllr Peter Rudd||Cllr Allowance 23/24||124.80|
|Cllr Jennifer Bulman||Cllr Allowance 23/24||124.80|
|Cllr R Williams||Cllr Allowance 23/24||156.00|
|Cllr M Mortimore||Cllr Allowance 23/24||124.80|
|Small Plant & Machinery Ltd||Mower service/repair||350.00|
|Small Plant & Machinery Ltd||Mower service/repair||90.00|
|Cllr A Edwards||Cllr Allowance 23/24||124.80|
|Cllr C Edwards||Cllr Allowance 23/24||124.80|
|Cllr A Doherty||Cllr Allowance 23/24||156.00|
|John Richards Training Services||H&S training||210.00|
|Touch Networks||New CCTV monitor and repairs||354.00|
|ROSPA Play Safety||Report 2023||180.60|
|Income Received||£ Amounts|
|SRCC Stores Ltd||2 months rental fee||60.00|
|TSB Bank||Mthly interest – Saver||10.87|
|Celtic Archers||Hall Hire – June 23||92.00|
|Singing for the Brain||Fees May and June 23||192.00|
|Friends of Blaengwrach School||Hall Hire 24th June 23||40.00|
|Cwmgwrach Judo Club||Hall Hire – May/June 23||72.00|
|VIEW – Glynneath Ltd||Hall Hire – Yoga June 23||72.00|
|Account Balances||As of dated 20th July 2023||£ Amounts|
|Total Account Balances 15810.74|
- Town and Community Councils – Clerk to email with concerns regarding the lack of buses on the road linking Glynneath and Resolven via Aberpergwm.
- 137 Requests – 13th Cwmgwrach Scouts Group – approved, The Armed Forces Charity rejected.
57/23 Review Budget Items and “5 Year Plan”
- Stage Curtains – One quote back from SPC £760 for curtain only. Unable to source and provide track. MACE is waiting on a company to get back to them regarding track before the send the quote. Another quote still needed. Action: Clerk to source another company to quote on the stage curtains.
58/23 Set Date, Time & Proposed Agenda Items for the next meeting; …
The next meeting is scheduled will be held on Thursday 21st September at 6.30 pm. The venue of the meeting will be the Welfare Hall, and available remotely on Zoom. The proposed agenda items are, at this time – None
Notices for the meetings will be posted at least three working days before they are due to take place.
The Council resolved to enter Closed Session under Section 100 of the Local Government Act 1972 & the Council Standing Order 1c to Discuss Personnel Issues.